Sunday, September 12, 2010

Make Me Laugh!

I woke up this morning thinking that I didn’t want to walk. What could I write about that would be interesting. I decided to look for something that would make me laugh. If I couldn’t find anything, I would just have to laugh at myself. I saw a tree that looked a little funny, but it didn’t make me laugh. Later, at the bookstore I was looking over some psychology, business, marketing books and felt like most of them were pretty much the same things I had heard before. Then I picked up "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It." What do you know? It made me laugh. It was not really new information, but it was a different perspective. I’ve read so many books and blogs on business, marketing, and entrepreneurship that I find it hard to get excited about reading another book. This one I will definitely read.

Humor, stories, and analogies get my attention and make me want to read on. Whether writing a story, business plan, or cover letter, you have to get the attention of the audience. The problem is that everyone is different. What makes me laugh may not seem funny at all to you. Knowing the strengths and vision of your customer, employer, or colleague will help you know what will get their attention. In fact, it’s true for all of our relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.