Friday, August 13, 2010

Murky Water

Ducks sat in a row as they groomed, conversed, and watched the lone duck swimming in the murky water. In the spring the water was blue, clear, and flowing. The ducks quacked, swam, and worked their way around the water. Seasons change, the environment changes, and the ducks adjust. A single duck maneuvers through the muck. From a distance it looked like he enjoyed the adventure. I was walking, so I didn't stay around to see if the other ducks joined the swimmer.

Watching the ducks made me think about the different ways we handle challenges. I must admit I would rather sit on the log with my friends and wait for the muck to clear before diving in. But someone needs to gently stir the waters and clear new paths when seasons change. We see the ups and downs of the stock market, economic upturns and downturns, and jobs come and go. It would be nice to croon in the sun and wait for the waters to clear, but I want to be an agent for positive change. I want to be the little duck swimming in the muck, stirring things up, and clearing the way to a free flowing lake.

The free flow of ideas, creativity, and ingenuity are the things that make my work worthwhile. Sharing and caring about people who are sitting on a log waiting for something to happen, I can help them take the leap into the muck and create positive change for themselves. If you are ready to take action, then take a walk, and stretch your muscles. You can build resilience that will pave the way for adventures you never imagined possible.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you put that into perspective :) Keep walking. I try to walk everyday but it doesn't always happen. I do feel much better when I walk.

    ReplyDelete

Share your walking experiences.