Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Dry Walk in the Rain

It was getting warm but not hot when I started out on my walk on this August morning. I couldn't find the podcast I was looking for, but I came across one of those subliminal relaxation programs. I thought it would be a little odd to take a walk in the summer listening to the patter of rain accompanied by intermittent claps of thunder (I'm in California you must realize.) I decided to give it a try. I was walking on a shaded tree lined path next to a dry creek. I wondered if it might feel cooler if I listened to rain.

As I heard the rain and thunder, I realized that a rain storm usually makes me feel a little restless, but I only occasionally take long walks during a thunder storm. I felt a little more energy and the breeze felt a little cooler as the dry creek seemed to fill with water from the rain. I never thought the sound of a thunder storm was very relaxing, but a long walk in the dry rain is a great way to use the restless energy from hearing a storm.

In her book, "Healing Spaces: The Science of Place and Well-Being," Esther M. Sternberg, M.D.describes studies that demonstrate the importance of environment for health, healing, and well-being. The sights, smells, and sounds we take in have a profound affect on health and mood. When we perk up our senses with new experiences and environments or just find ways to make the same old path more interesting, we are healthier and happier.

Try a dry walk in the rain, a conversation with someone new, or look for something you hadn't seen before in the same environment. Enjoy your walk!

40 minutes walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.