Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat?


It’s national eat candy and sweets day. The day we buy treats and hand them out to the neighborhood children. The trick is that now we can start buying all of our favorite candy in black & orange packages beginning in September. I don’t normally buy candy bars, but I couldn’t resist those little tiny chocolate bars in my favorite flavors. There couldn’t be that many calories in a tiny bar. Tricked again!

 A gigantic bag of tiny little candy bars adds up to much more candy available than a large block of chocolate. They look so little, but the snacking quickly adds up.

There are so many good reasons to have a little chocolate, caffeine and sugar. I’ll share some of my reasons with you, and you can use them anytime you want to eat something sweet.

  • Helps me think
  • Didn’t get enough sleep
  • Makes a boring job more interesting
  • I saw a mini chocolate bar on the counter
  • I found a step stool and was able to climb up to the high cabinet where I hid the chocolate bars so I would forget them until “candy day”
  • Add your own if none of these fit for you

The final “trick” is that instead of having more energy, I felt sluggish as I started out on a nice long walk today. I knew I needed a walk, but I didn’t feel the usual spring in my step. I felt like I was wearing all those tiny little candy bars. Maybe all of those excuses didn’t work out very well.

I walked to the drug store and found the isles being stocked with that familiar candy now in green & red wrappers. I won’t be tricked again! Fall is the time of year for green and red apples that don’t even need wrappers. I’ll try to reign in the sugar monster and at least make something if I want a sweet treat. Making cookies for the church welcome boxes took a little effort but I had far fewer treats left to tempt me.

60 minutes walking



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.