Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Beginning



The conversation began with a little catching up. The usual how are you and what have you been doing. One thing led to another and we were talking about 3 years ago, and then careers, family and youth. Lunch with a trusted friend can stir up ideas, thoughts, and memories. Much of our thoughts and conversation bounces around from present, to past, and then future. We even got into a discussion about time and space and too many prepositions. Our lives become fluid and transparent as we share our stories. Where do we begin?

As I walk through the park and look at the geese that come to the park every year, I wonder if this is where they start. Is this their home? Then do they go away and come back or is this a resting place from their home? Maybe there is no beginning. Maybe they flow with the seasons.

I got stuck working on my book. I was struggling to put the puzzle together, but the pieces didn’t seem to fit. I tried to force it and got little done. Then I realized I don’t have to start at the beginning. I can let the project flow from the bigger picture to smaller, or from a single idea to something much bigger. Maybe my idea starts somewhere in the middle and flows back and forth from there. I am used to feeling the need for a linear progression. It was very freeing to realize I can start where I am right now and flow back and forth to where it takes me. You don’t have to start at the beginning. The beginning is artificially created. In your story or project, you can choose and change as you work through the process.

30 minutes walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.