Thursday, December 9, 2010

Deliberate Practice


We all have a story to tell, and more people than ever are telling their stories, writing fiction, and promoting their businesses through self-publishing. Authors, entrepreneurs, and consultants are joining the publishing craze by learning to publish their own books.

"The DIY ethic (do it yourself ethic) refers to the ethic of being self-reliant by completing tasks oneself as opposed to having others who are more experienced complete them for you. It promotes the idea that an ordinary person can learn to do more than he or she thought was possible." Wikipedia

I am in the process of discovering my story through writing blogs, articles, and a book. I sometimes wonder why it is taking so long. As I read about the DIY's, I realized I have been learning to be a writer and publisher. Setting a goal is the first step, but developing the mastery to accomplish the goal is an even greater leap.

Research by K. Anders Ericsson and others have shown that the right environment, deliberate practice, and study have a greater affect on expert performance than inborn talent or intelligence. In an interview with Fast Company Magazine, Ericsson says,

"Successful people spontaneously do things differently from those individuals who stagnate. They have different practice histories. Elite performers engage in what we call "deliberate practice"--an effortful activity designed to improve individual target performance. There has to be some way they're innovating in the way they do things."

Disciplining myself to walk everyday, practice writing daily, and learn about writing is helping me improve my skill and expertise. Having friends, family, colleagues, and other professionals who give me feedback, publish my articles, and support me in my work gives me an environment to grow my talent. We'll see where it leads me.

70 minutes walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.