Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hibernating

I'm not in California anymore. I am accustomed to mild winters and year round walking weather. During my stay in Albuquerque, I am experiencing the coldest winter in decades with snow, ice, and wind chills of 20 below zero. I enjoy the occasional walk in the rain and freezing temperatures are fine, but I don't walk when it is icy. Apparently few people are out walking in this weather, but you see the occasional person on base walking their dog, and I have seen a military march or two.

For the month of February, I feel like I have been in hibernation mostly staying indoors. Exercising at the gym, stair stepping, and the occasional walk have marked my days. I am not really a person who just loves to be outdoors, but I'm in the habit of being out everyday rain or shine.

The environment affects the way we live, behave, and communicate. Where we live often determines who we know, our educational opportunities, and lifestyle. Due to the cold weather and broken pipes, I have been living in a hotel with my daughter and three young children for two weeks. Our circumstances have changed the way we do everything. We are warm and well, but there are so many people who have been without heat for over two weeks and those who have no safe warm place to live.

The weather is warming up to the 40's, we will be moving back to my daughter's house soon, and get back to a normal routine. Since losing my power supply at the airport, living at a hotel with sick children, and adapting to my environment, I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. My goal is to post each week, but the best laid plans can be misplaced when nature sets the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your walking experiences.